Serving Clients During COVID-19. Learn More »
Avvo Rating 10 Top Attorney Criminal Defense
Avvo Top Contributor 2015 Criminal Defense
Avvo Clients' Choice
Avvo Clients' Choice Award 2017
Top 100 Trial Lawyers
Expertise Best Employment Lawyers in Los Angeles
Expertise Best DUI Lawyers in Orlando

Failure to Register as a Sex Offender

Failure to register as a sex offender is a ridiculously serious charge. Taxpayer money is being wasted as people go to prison for this and it should be, like, a parking ticket. It should be a fine.

Failure to register is a Level 7 offense, that just means it scores mandatory prison and that's unfortunate.

Let's get into some advice on how to handle these things, ok. There are sex offender task forces everywhere, as you know. And, their job is to go verify the addresses, knock on doors. The problem is, its not a crime to not answer the door. You are constitutionally permitted to sit on your couch and finish the overtime, finish the fourth quarter. You don't have to get up and answer the door. Just because they don't find you at your house ever, doesn't mean that you've committed some crime. It is only your job to register where you live. And if you've done that, if you've complied with the job, then the fact that they can't find you there--tough luck. That's not a crime. They think it is, but that's a dismissal.

So, I recommend getting with an attorney immediately. There are a lot of loopholes on cases like this but the problem I find is, if you thought you could talk your way out of this and before you hired an attorney, then you might have screwed yourself on some of the loopholes.

The good news is, these things are getting dismissed left and right. The good news is, they're defensible, ok? And, the good news is that there is help out there, so take advantage of the help.

Get a good local attorney, make sure you ask them a pretty obvious question, which is: "Gee, have you defended any of these cases before?" You'd be surprised how many attorneys really haven't defended these sorts of cases. Call a local attorney that is familiar with the judges in your area and what they're doing on these cases. And, this thing will work out for you. I wish you luck.

Client Reviews
"I can not express better my gratitude to John Guidry. His customer service exceeded my expectations. He always listened to my needs and my case and he explained in details every options I have and the steps to take. He maintained full communication with me and answered to my calls in less than five minutes. It was worth every single penny. I highly recommend this lawyer." J.P.
"I spoke to a couple of attorney's before speaking to John and I knew right away he was the attorney I would hire. He is very professional and a very caring individual. He is up front about the cost of service, with no surprises. I am in my late 50's and was never in trouble with the law and he made me feel very comfortable and reassured me of a positive outcome.....which it was. I highly recommend The Law Firm of John Guidry II." M.C.
"John Guidry worked closely with my family over a trivial matter. However, he treated it like it was the only case on his plate. He was kind, patient, professional, and just an excellent person to have on our side. While we reached out to him over a year ago, we are still constantly in contact with him. He makes sure there is no question left unanswered and personally reaches out to you himself whenever he possibly can. Very grateful for you, John!" K.P.